Sunday, July 15, 2007

Ahhh, time to relax

Again, Sunday, my day off. Things are looking up here. I have internet in my room. It is a huge relief. Before, I was only able to check email and surf on my day off, unless I was willing to skip one of my two meals or shrink my sleep schedule by an hour. Getting anywhere is a major chore. The base is pretty spread out and I am limited to the three company vehicles which are shared by the 15, or so, current employees here. That number is expected to grow soon. Anyway, that is alleviated for me now that I can communicate from my little hovel in the sand.
So, what would you like to hear about today: work, food, people? Well, let's talk a little about work. It is hampered, as is everything, by the heat. And, like an idiot, I volunteered for the hottest shift, 13:00 to 24:00. I did so because I knew of the guy who is the lead and he comes recommended, and I had no idea about anything else really. As it turns out, he is a great guy to work for so that worked out well. But the night shift really has it a lot better. It is so comfortable after 8 pm (not sure how much to fill you all with the jargon that we live in, so I apologize if I get carried away with the acronyms and the military time). Last night I was cool walking to and from the shower at midnight or so. I am not saying it was cool, just that compared to 120, 85-90 feels so good.
Back to work, I am doing a lot of the same stuff I did at home. But, with 8 aircraft instead of 3, the workload is a bit heavier. I worked "the line" for the first time the other day. Which basically means you stand in the sun all day fueling aircraft, changing light bulbs, doing daily inspections, and stand around while turbine engines spool up and idle on the ramp before takeoff. A pretty grueling day all in all. And it gets quite confusing with who is coming and who is going and who is broke and who needs the 327 light bulb and who needs the 22 light bulb. Are you getting the picture? Monotonous work in intense heat.
Other days, are good if you can get a nice big project to concentrate on. You move an aircraft out of the sun and wrench away. Before you know it you day is half gone, and if your lucky, you can be proud of a job well done. The tough days are ones where you have neither of the previous jobs and you have to struggle to find piddly things to do all day. That is when time crawls.
The good news is, Sunday crept up on me out of nowhere. The idea that time goes fast or slow doesn't mean much to me. But the memory of it does have speed. I was told by someone who had done this sort of thing before I left that it is like you just lose a year. I can see it happening already. I hate to think of that, because time is so precious, I am trying to find ways to increase the value of my time, personally. But, either way I will be home soon.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my ridiculous rants here. It is great to have so many comments, they each mean so much. The voices from home keep my perspective from closing in on this place. To Michelle, I think of you often, here. Your experience helps me keep mine in perspective, thanks.
Today as I said is Sunday, and there is no mail. The guy who went to pick up mail yesterday had just gotten back from leave and didn't know me, so I missed two packages that were waiting for me. But I will be there for mail call tomorrow, believe me. As far as things you can send, I don't need silly string or baby wipes. My needs are all taken care of here. Music and movies and entertainment stuff are cool. Anything is great, we will see if cookies and suck work with the heat. You didn't hear this from me but I hear they don't check our mail too close for contraband, but I am not sure beer travels that well, anyway.
Well, I have clearly gone on too long, sorry. I miss you all incredibly. Pictures of you pop into my head from time to time and make me smile into the dusty sky. I look forward to seeing you all soon,
Clifford

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your writing. Jane would be pleased I think.
Momster