Sunday, July 29, 2007

Here's a funny joke for you

If you ever find yourself in a foreign environment where nothing seems exactly right and you miss mostly everything, here is a joke for you:
Knock, knock. Who's there? Boo. Boo who? You don't have to cry about it. End of discussion.
Let me tell you, it may be the funniest joke you have ever heard in that circumstance. It is certainly in my top two. (Some of you may know the other but I can't tell you if you don't, so don't ask.)
I recently received this joke in a box of cookies from Grandma Sharon. The cookies were awesome but I will never forget that joke as long as I live. It made me laugh until tears welled in my eyes, and then again repeatedly through the day as I insisted anyone who eat a cookie read the joke. It can't be told again with the same effectiveness that Abby delivered it to me, but try it sometime when things get a little strange and uncomfortable, it's really funny and strangely fitting. Thank you Abby, you have brightened my world!
In this strange world: the heat is getting unbearable. 120 degrees F is what the thermometer reads but that does not tell the whole story. Apparently the world record is 136 F. Someone measured the surface of the aircraft at 150 F. You literally cannot touch the aircraft, even items in the shade can come close to untouchable. You need a pair of gloves to do anything in the sun. The aircraft air conditioning systems are failing all of the time; it is our number one maintenance issue. Our crew is among the few that actually work during the day, everyone else quits precisely when my shift begins. After spend just a few hours in the heat and sun my body becomes drained of all ambition and free energy. Everything is concentrated on the next task at hand, a very inefficient way to work. It is hell on morale. It will only get hotter for the next month, then I am hoping, it will slowly cool.
In a very strange event, it actually rained. No monsoon, but it did rain. No one cared to move out of the rain or close any doors or windows, it was here and gone. There was enough to wet the pavement in little polka dots, and then it dried up and the sun returned to its scorching heat. It was quite beautiful, while it lasted.
Well, it is time for bed, goodnight all. Soon, I'll talk a little about food. Doesn't that sound exciting? 'Till then,
Love you all and see you soon.
Cliff

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your updates. I keep thinking you are going to come back looking like a fried egg with all that heat you are in. Also, congrats on the bike - oh, how the little things mean so much when one is away...and bored.

Anonymous said...

Yo man,

I gotta admit that Abby's joke lends itself to a cetain scenario and if your living that scenario it's a hellofa lot more funny. You know the it's so funny 'cause it's so true.

Mom said it's a like a 3 miles type of distances to bike. If your doing that much biking that sounds like it's good for the body.

Nothing really goin' on here. Well I guess I got some tales to tell you, but they are way to involved for this forum. You know how crazy complex so of the stuff gets. Oh, well, it'll be something to talk about.

Keep up with the "stiff upper lip".

Carpe Diem,

e

ps. I love you.

Anonymous said...

cliff-

kathleen and i just got back from visiting with your two leading ladies. had a great visit. we missed you, of course! rosie was quick to point out the pictures of her daddy in her bedroom. :) erin will send some pics from the visit. glad you got the care package....more on the way. hang in there! miss you!
karen